An extension to this -- how do you handle answering machines?

My gut feeling is that either a no-no (the machine more questionable than a family 
member) -- the information could only be released to the patient or his/her 
representative designated in a written authorizaton.  Perhaps another signature on 
your main consent/authorization form to allow these types of communications is what's 
needed???

The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily the opinion of LCMH.

Douglas M. Webb
Computer System Engineer
Little Company of Mary Hospital & Health Care Centers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally 
privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity(s)  named 
as recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of the message, 
please notify the sender immediately,  delete the material from any computer, do not 
deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take 
action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you."



----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 04:04 PM
Subject: HIPAA privacy and telephone


> I would like the lists opinion on this topic.
> 
> Patient comes to the office to have their potassium checked because they are on a 
>diuretic.  Later, the physician's nurse calls the patient at home with results but 
>the patient is not home.  Spouse answers the phone.  Can you tell the spouse that the 
>potassium was fine and that he/she should tell the spouse to continue the same dose 
>of diuretic and potassium supplement?  If you say "no, this type of disclosure is not 
>allowed", would it matter that we put a statment in our Notice of Privacy Practices 
>that stated  (in the section on Payment, treatment and  health care operations) "On 
>occasion, we call test results to your home and leave the results with a family 
>member if you are not present".  Now, obviously, we would not do this with a HIV 
>result but it seems like such a waste of everyone's time to play phone tag to 
>accommodate the one patient in a million that is actually upset because you told the 
>spouse what the potassium result was.  Thank you.
> 
> Rich Fairley, 
> Dubuque, IA


---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions 
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do 
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If 
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues 
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for 
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.  
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or 
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at 
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the 
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at 
http://subscribe.wedi.org

Reply via email to