With all due respect, and I mean it sincerely.....

Good idea for privacy........ Based on my many years of management
engineering and the application of voice, data and image telecommunications
systems in healthcare as an employee and later as a consultant I suggest it
is unworkable. (really long and ill structured sentence).

The major premise is "When the patient calls back, someone who can accept
the call and pin number is available".  The major premise, although well
intentioned, is false.

When I try to get to my Doctor's office, I get a call management system 99%
of the time.  If I'm really lucky, I may get an answering service.  People
who work for many answering services are part timers, sometimes from
temporary employment companies, working for minimum wage, with little or no
healthcare background.  Try and get them HIPAA certified.
(I have also done consulting on Doctors' answering services.)

I believe such a system would simply generate round after round of call
backs which are unsuccessful.  If anyone thinks this would actually work,
should get another opinion and only pay for that opinion when the system is
proven effective.

I really would like to talk to the people who have used this successfully so
that I might add to my professional knowledge and moderate my opinion on he
matter.... or... is this simply a "scenario" from a brainstorming session?

Additional comments are welcomed and desired.  I find I learn more from
people who disagree.

Ben Tartaglia
Benjamin W. Tartaglia, MBA, BSIM, CSP
Director, Client Services
BWT Associates, HealthCare Consultants

HIPAA, JCAHO, Telemedicine, Contingency Planning, Telecommunications,
Telephone Fraud & Abuse, Training Programs, Policy & Procedures, Management
Audits.

PO# 4515, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Phone: 508-845-6000