Title: RE: HIPAA privacy and telephone

My feeling is that unless you have authorization from the patient, anything other than giving the results directly to the patient is not allowed. You wish you can have an opt-in question on the order of "Do we have your permission to leave medical information with your spouse?(Y/N) These responses would have to be tracked and adhered to.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Webb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 8:51 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: Re: HIPAA privacy and telephone

An extension to this -- how do you handle answering machines?

My gut feeling is that either a no-no (the machine more questionable than a family member) -- the information could only be released to the patient or his/her representative designated in a written authorizaton.  Perhaps another signature on your main consent/authorization form to allow these types of communications is what's needed???

The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily the opinion of LCMH.

Douglas M. Webb
Computer System Engineer
Little Company of Mary Hospital & Health Care Centers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity(s)  named as recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately,  delete the material from any computer, do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you."