The issue here is windSpeed and windGust being identical. 
$day.windSpeed.max and $day.windGust.max come from archive_day_windSpeed 
and archive_day_windGust respectively, archive_day_wind shoudl have nothing 
to do with either. At a guess I would say that somehow windGust is 
polluting archive_day_windSpeed. How that is happening is the question. The 
handling of wind by weewx is complex. I have just spent the last hour 
trying to get my head around it and I am still not there. Something I will 
ask Tom about.


On Friday, 13 January 2017 23:38:12 UTC+10, Andrew Milner wrote:
> Gary - as far as I can see from the results from the queries I asked for 
> the issue seems to be resolving why day_archive_wind has the same value AND 
> time as day_archive_windGust when in the archive the max for windSpeed and 
> windGust are different values.
> On Friday, 13 January 2017 15:30:36 UTC+2, gjr80 wrote:
>> The SteelSeries Gauges template fields are correct (well the 10 min 
>> average actually uses a 1 hour average but that is either here nor there). 
>> The fact the maximum windSpeed recorded in the archive is lower than the 
>> what you get with $day.windSpeed.max is not surprising. The windSpeed 
>> values in your archive are the average of the loop windSpeed values seen 
>> over that archive period. So if over the first 5 minute archive period of 
>> the day your station saw (loop) windSpeed values of 6,8,8,10,12 the value 
>> 8.8 (44/5) would be recorded in the archive as windSpeed for that archive 
>> period. The daily summaries keep track of the Highs and Lows. So the 
>> windSpeed daily summary would record 12 as the max. As subsequent archive 
>> periods roll over and loop packets come in additional records are added to 
>> the archive (ie windSpeed will contain the average of the loop windSpeed 
>> values over the archive period) and the Highs and Lows in the daily 
>> summaries will be updated *if a new* High or Low was seen during that 
>> archive period. So it is quite possible that the maximum windSpeed value 
>> seen in all of the day's archive records is lower than that returned by 
>> $day.windSpeed.max ($day.windSpeed.max pulls the max windSpeed value from 
>> the daily summaries). In fact for windSpeed i woudl almost guarantee that 
>> the max value in the archive will be less than $day.windSpeed.max. The 
>> exception is when the daily summaries are rebuilt all of the accumulated 
>> detail of highs and lows and their times are lost (ie the detail of the 
>> loop data is lost) and the daily summaries are rebuilt frome the (largely) 
>> 'averaged' archive data.
>> The real tell will be a query of both the windSpeed and windGust daily 
>> summaries. If you do:
>> SELECT * FROM archive_day_windSpeed ORDER BY dateTime DESC LIMIT 1;
>> and then 
>> SELECT * FROM archive_day_windGust ORDER BY dateTime DESC LIMIT 1;
>> I'll bet the values in both of the max columns are the same (the maxtimes 
>> will likely be different). That is not right and that is why 
>> $day.windSpeed.max and $day.windGust.max are returning the same values. 
>> (coincidentally, I get the exact same results on my system with a different 
>> station so it is not an issue with the station). How weewx handles wind obs 
>> is complex, and whilst the issue has been identified I think a bit more 
>> analysis will be required to work any possible fix.
>> Gary

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"weewx-user" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
For more options, visit

Reply via email to