I agree about the PI's usb, but I'd like to warn about over-voltaging the
WH1080/3080 as well.

I can't remember where, but I saw a suggestion about using some diodes in
the USB lead to the WH3080 to reduce the voltage, which suggests
that something  is getting near its max.voltage.

I was thinking of doing that modiification some time, and after I'd tried
connecting to my WH3080 to a  new pi3 18 monts ago or so I wished I had.
It came with a new '5.1v psu for more reliability' The result was bad - it
looks like the extra voltage caused somthing bad to happen to
the memory and I've not been able to extract any data from the console it
since. The screen is good, but all memory-related stuff is corrupted, and
there's no  history available on it now, even with the console entirely
freestanding.

What I did for 18 months was use an SDR to decode the signals. That wasn't
100% reliable though, and the 2 different  packet types arriving at
different times
confused weewx / WU. What I've now done is unsolder the radio module from
my moslty-useless console and connect it directly to the pi, along with a
BME280 pressure/humidity/temp sensor.
its been working for 24 hours now, so I'm hopeful!

David