I suspect most FineOffset users probably use a powered hub of some kind to
avoid the RPi USB ports.  Never heard of over voltage before I must admit,
but am sure that over voltage will destroy most electronics.

Sounds like you may have had some bad luck though - or even a faulty unit.

Not r3ead about the diodes mod on weewx, and I usually follow the forum
pretty closely as I have RPi and WH1080/2080 (not 3080 though)