Hi all,
I am back after a long period of doing other things and have started
merging Matthew's latest code into my version of the driver, which
uses only PyUSB v1
I am looking to create a unified version that works with both V0 and V1
APIs.

My system has been running without crashing for about 11 months, however
there have been *unexpected events *that might be related to crashes here.

Normally the system sends over 100 packets in every heartbeat interval of
20 seconds. But every now and again it slows right down - I have logged
over 24000 occurrences where the system sent fewer than 10 packets in the
20 seconds.
I don't know why - I intend to look in more detail at the timing for any
trends that might help explain this.
In the same 11 months, there were 1760 times when it sent zero data, and my
code assumes the weather station console has gone to sleep and tries to
kick it to life again.
I don't know if this is necessary, but the system is usually happy with the
process.

On about half of these 1760 occasions when I read nothing, I "immediately"
flush the read buffer and there is a burst of 22 packets (occasionally up
to 26) within the 1 second. Whether this is the Linux side getting clogged
up, or the WMR console, I can't tell.
I don't even check what sort of packets they are, but I might start doing
that (when I get the code working again)

On 11 out of the 1760 occasions, the console refused to read the next A6
heartbeat packet and caused a timeout, but the system recovered and carried
on.

So, there are certainly still irregularities in the way the console and
Linux drivers talk to each other. If these are timing issues leading to
deadlock then it could easily explain why we see problems on one system and
not another.

There was one "unknown error" (code 99) from the USB lib while  trying to
read a loop packet. This triggered an exception and weewx restarted
automatically, so that behaved as we would hope.

Cameron.