I understand what you are saying. However, all the discussion that I read
was about the change from V4.x to V5.x. I was very careful when I did that
update, created a total system backup first, and was fully prepared to sort
out issues. I have, in any event, been using systemd for many things,
including weewx, for a very long time. There were essentially no issues
with the 4.x->5.x update. What I wasn't prepared for was an update *from
5.01 to 5.02* clobbering everything *that was previously working in 5.01*.
I don't think that it is reasonable to expect the user to carefully
(re-)read all the documentation before doing/allowing a 'second decimal
place' update.

I have used the wee_xyz utilities so rarely, that I would need to look up
how to do anything with them, anyway. I would expect to do the same with
weectl.

My existing installation includes a number of custom skins and custom
services. There would be *much* more than copying over the db involved in
the ''clean install' approach, though I did think of doing that after
everything fell apart.