On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 3:50:52 PM UTC-8 Peter Fletcher wrote:

What I wasn't prepared for was an update *from 5.01 to 5.02* clobbering
everything *that was previously working in 5.01*. I don't think that it is
reasonable to expect the user to carefully (re-)read all the documentation
before doing/allowing a 'second decimal place' update.

Fair enough, but you also need to provide a lot of before+after detail of
what you think broke in the process in order to have somebody try to
recreate your issue so the next user doesn't run into it too.

   - what was your exact configuration when you started - which extensions
   and versions (hint - weectl extension list for v5, or wee_extension --list
   for v4)
   - what do you think broke when you were done upgrading and what debug=1
   logs support that ?
   - are you 'sure' it was all working 'before' you upgraded ?

It's a bit hard finding the details in your somewhat over the top wording
of your post and followups. What I saw in the thread was:

   - (possibly old) crt extension didn't have permissions to write to the
   web docroot you wanted it to write to
   - your weewx user likely needed to be added to group dialout to be able
   to access the serial or usb port
   - any folders etc. in your web docroot needed permissions tweaked so
   weewx's user could write there

It would be helpful to know if any of that happened 'during' the 5.0.1 to
5.0.2 upgrade.

My existing installation includes a number of custom skins and custom
services. There would be *much* more than copying over the db involved in
the ''clean install' approach, though I did think of doing that after
everything fell apart.

For a clean v5 install, yes you would need to install any additions you had
added and edit in any pertinent edits you had made to your v4 setup.
FWIW, it's a good opportunity to (re)take control of your system a little
and document what you have there.  Over time and a lot of hand tweaks it's
easy to lose track of the configuration in good detail.  But yes having
'before' backups always helps.

Lastly - if journalctl is too painful, I'd suggest you add rsyslog to your
system and configure that and logrotate with the files in the util/
subdirectory in your weewx installation.  The result after you restart
rsyslog and weewx (in that order) is that your logs will go to old-school
files under /var/log/weewx which (to me) are much easier to find and read.
 Highly recommended.