Amen to that. Funny how things creep in and when you try to change one
thing, others break.
I just did that with mosquitto. Didn't want it running as root anymore. I
found it is quite picky about the SSL certs location and permissions.

Take the time to install properly with a fresh OS and weewx. Edit in your
changes to weewx.conf and skins.
You'll thank yourself later.