On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 3:54:31 PM UTC-5 Peter Fletcher wrote:

It turns out that there were some other privilege problems, resulting from
the 5.02 update, but I managed to get journalctl to show me the detailed
error logs, which it apparently keeps, and /var/log/messages apparently
doesn't. The previous crt exceptions were, indeed, in journalctl's logs and
they allowed me to identify and fix the rest. I think that everything is
now really sorted, but a nominally minor utility update, liable to be
included in a routine apt full-upgrade, should not create this big a mess!

peter,

based on the logs you found, is this what happened:

- crt extension could not write to the file it wanted to write to
- when it tried to report the problem, the crt extension died, because the
'traceback' function it tried to call no longer exists

where does your crt extension put its output?

have you updated to the latest crt extension?  (v0.23)