On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 6:50:52 PM UTC-5 Peter Fletcher wrote:

There were essentially no issues with the 4.x->5.x update. What I wasn't
prepared for was an update *from 5.01 to 5.02* clobbering everything *that
was previously working in 5.01*. I don't think that it is reasonable to
expect the user to carefully (re-)read all the documentation before
doing/allowing a 'second decimal place' update.

peter, it would be helpful if you could describe a bit more about your
configuration.

are you running with hardware that required separate installation (e.g.,
sdr) or hardware drivers or kernel modules?

are you running multiple instances of weewd?

are your reports all within a single directory tree, or are they scattered?

did you implement the various report locations using symlinks, or is it all
explicitly declared within your weewx config file?

did you have any issues with weewx integration to a local web server?  if
so, how did you configure that?

do you have ssh or other configurations for remote access that were
affected by the permissions changes?  where are those located, and how are
they used?

i'm working on a handful of adjustments to the deb/rpm packaging that will
hopefully avoid some of the issues you ran into.  so description of systems
that are more extensive than just 'apt install' are very helpful.  in
hindsight, we probably should have done the root-to-weewx change in the
5.0.0 release, not a dot-dot.  it was not until 5.0 went out that we
realized how many *more* issues there would be if some people end up with
weewx running as root while others run unprivileged.

apologies for the disruption it caused.