[ CC to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

I have a need to use wget through an FTP proxy server and every combination of proxy options I have tried has failed. By capturing packets I have verified that wget never sends the proxy-user/proxy-password information.

What I see is wget opening an FTP connection to the proxy gateway, but not attempting to log in as the proxy user. Instead it tries to authenticate as the remote user immediately.

The specific type of FTP proxy I need to use is what WS-FTP pro and CoreFTP refer to as "send USER after logon". The proxy gateway in question wants to get the proxy-user/proxy-password supplied initially, followed by a "USER <remote-user>@<remote-host>" command to connect to the actual remote FTP system.

Here is what I have tried:

  1. Setting "ftp_proxy" to
"ftp://<proxy-user>:<proxy-password>@<proxy-server> in .wgetrc. 2. Setting "ftp-proxy" to same as above in .wgetrc
  3. Setting "proxy-user", "proxy_user", "proxy-passwd", "proxy_passwd"
     appropriately in .wgetrc.
  4. Setting the command-line option equivalents for all the above.

No matter what I do, the only part of the proxy information wget pays any attention to is the proxy server address.

Can someone provide a detailed description of how to configure wget for an FTP proxy and exactly what type(s) of FTP proxy server it will work with?

I'm using wget version 1.9.1 for Solaris 8 (SPARC). The package was obtained from Sun Freeware.

Please CC my email address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on any replies; I am not subscribed to this list.

Thank you.