Alan Watt wrote:
> [ CC to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
>
> I have a need to use wget through an FTP proxy server and every
> combination of proxy options I have tried has failed.  By capturing
> packets I have verified that wget never sends the
> proxy-user/proxy-password information.
>
> What I see is wget opening an FTP connection to the proxy gateway, but
> not attempting to log in as the proxy user.  Instead it tries to
> authenticate as the remote user immediately.
>
> The specific type of FTP proxy I need to use is what WS-FTP pro and
> CoreFTP refer to as "send USER after logon".  The  proxy gateway in
> question wants to get the proxy-user/proxy-password supplied initially,
> followed by a "USER <remote-user>@<remote-host>" command to connect to
> the actual remote FTP system.
>
> Here is what I have tried:
>
>    1. Setting "ftp_proxy" to
>       "ftp://<proxy-user>:<proxy-password>@<proxy-server> in .wgetrc.
>    2. Setting "ftp-proxy" to same as above in .wgetrc
>    3. Setting "proxy-user", "proxy_user", "proxy-passwd", "proxy_passwd"
>       appropriately in .wgetrc.
>    4. Setting the command-line option equivalents for all the above.
>
> No matter what I do, the only part of the proxy information wget pays
> any attention to is the proxy server address.

After looking through the relevant source code, it looks like proxy
authentication is only supported for HTTP proxies, and not FTP. I'll
file a bug.

It would be useful to know what software is being used as the FTP proxy,
so we can test against it.

There are two bugs here, actually: one is lack of support for
authentication with FTP proxies (feature request), the other is that
it's not clearly documented that proxy-user/proxy-password only apply to
HTTP proxies.

Can anyone tell me offhand, does Wget currently support the use of HTTP
proxies for fetching FTP resources ("GET ftp://foo/ HTTP/1.1")? It looks
to me like the answer is no; if so, that should be filed as well.