Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Okay... but I don't see the logic of:
>>
>>   1. If the system has POSIX's sigsetjmp, use that.
>>   2. Otherwise, just assume it has the completely unportable, and not
>> even BSDish, siggetmask.
>
> Are you sure siggetmask isn't BSD-ish?  When I tested that code on
> various Unix systems, the only one without sigsetjmp was Ultrix, and
> it had siggetmask.  Linux man page claims siggetmask to belong to the
> "BSD signal API" and the headers expose it when _BSD_SOURCE is
> defined.

My Linux man page claims that all the functions in there, _except_
siggetmask, are from BSD, and that siggetmask is of unclear origin.

>> At least sigblock(0) is more portable,
>
> What makes you say that?

Because that one _is_ a BSD-ism.

>> And saying that VMS should implement its own completely separate
>> run_with_timeout just
>
> I know nothing of VMS.  If it's sufficiently different from Unix that
> it has wildly different alarm/signal facilities, or no alarm/signal at
> all (as is the case with Windows), then it certainly makes sense for
> Wget to provide a VMS-specific run_with_timeout and use it on VMS.
> Exactly as it's now done with Windows.

Not when we can use a more portabile facility to make both systems
happy. "Doesn't have siggetmask() nor sigsetjmp()" != "wildly different
alarm/signal facilities".

>> because it lacks an unportable facility doesn't make sense--esides
>> which, we're talking about a Unix here (Tru64), not VMS (yet).
>
> Do you say that Tru64 lacks both sigsetjmp and siggetmask?  Are you
> sure about that?

That is the only system we are currently talking about. Steven's been
testing on that as a stepping-stone to VMS, as it's the most similar
Unix to VMS. He has also run some tests on Solaris, more recently.
Sorry if there was some confusion; one of the earlier threads was
entitled "VMS and Wget", because the message that spawned it was me
prodding him to get his VMS kit up-to-date for inclusion. :)