You see Igor....we're not so different...you and I.

I agree...and simply because we're building web applications we're
likely to be working with web designers and web "developers" who are
well versed in markup & CSS and are able to take part of the
application maintenance upon themselves.

Using a pure-code framework can put a lot of design & layout work on
the developer and help to reduce the division of labor...which isn't
necessarily a good thing.

allow myself to quote...myself

|| imho, html is the best layout manager out there for browser apps. add css
to the mix and you have a great skin manager as well.

i never said css was great for layout manager :) and yes the box model is
broken.

-Igor

> ha! and css is easier then layout manager in java...
> hmm that is not how i see it.
> CSS is just plain horrible stupid box thing..
>
> And what is a layout manager in css? There isn't one everything is sort of
absoluut positioned and then you can do in swing also
> (not recommended ofcourse)
>

> johan
>

> On 5/17/06, Igor Vaynberg < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > imho, html is the best layout manager out there for browser apps. add
css to the mix and you have a great skin manager as well.

> > the one thing you always hear swing developers bitching about is how
they have to fight the layout managers to get the results they want.
gridbaglayout is poweful but its a huge pain to work with.

> > matisse+grouplayout are the holy grail for swing devels, its nice and
easy to create layouts. but it still requires a gui to do this, while i can
do html easily by hand. also browser screen space doesnt translate easily to
the desktop space. in desktop space you are pixel aware, you are also pixel
aware of your fonts and the south east corner of the window. in html you
have none of these things.

> > look at wingS framework examples, they use layout managers. look how
rectangular their examples look.

> > -Igor
> >

> > On 5/17/06, Frank Silbermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I, personally, don't care for HTML, and perhaps I might enjoy
> > > programming in Echo2 better.
> > >
> > > But suppose an employer maintained an HTML fragment with links to
their
> > > entire portfolio of web applications, and wanted this fragment to
appear
> > > on every page of each web application.  Since someone else is
> > > maintaining that scrap and keeping it up-to-date, I would not want to
> > > translate it into Echo 2 and maintain my own copy.
> > >
> > > Would it not likely be easier to incorporate such an HTML scrap into a
> > > Wicket application, versus one written in a framework such as Echo 2
> > > that abstracted away the HTML completely?

Behalf Of Eelco
> > > Hillenius
> > > Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:58 AM
> > > To: wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net
> > > Subject: Re: [Wicket-user] Google Web Toolkit integration ?

> > > Yeah. I see some advantages of using layout managers - basically the
> > > same promise as Swing has - but currently I would still prefer using
> > > HTML for layout. If I would like the GWT way of developing
> > > applications, I would have choosen Echo 2 a long time ago. GWT looks
> > > like a next gen Echo to me, though with a very big name behind it, and
> > > some cool innovations. ... Eelco

> > > Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services,
security?
easier
> > > Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo

http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmdlnk&kid0709&bid&3057&dat1642