If this is just the basic application CSS, as opposed to per-component
CSS, then the way I normally do it is outside Wicket itself, i.e. I
have the file at "src/webapp/css/styles.css" (src/webapp/*" gets
copied to the root of the webapp) then just reference it as :

<head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/styles.css">
</head>

It's not simply that WicketBench isn't copying it into the web-app, is it?

As for the redirect to the app, what servlet mapping are you using?
Could that be due to using "/*"?  Personally, I stick to "/app/*",
with a redirecting index.html in the root, but I'm not sure what the
current recommendation is! (If /*, try /app/* and see if that sorts
the CSS too?)

/Gwyn

--
Download Wicket 1.2.1 now! - http://wicketframework.org