British English is a real issue. Personally, I think it's a bit silly
to have it as a language option (Wikipedia has managed for ten years
with an en-common approach!), but I can understand why people want to
have it for the >0.5% of cases where en-gb might differ from en-us.

However...  the current existence of a British English
"internationalisation" actually breaks things for people who, in all
good faith, select it. My comments from this time last year:

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Labels_and_descriptions_in_language_variants#British_English

It's the same in 2014. If you visit the site from the UK while not
logged in, you get encouraged to "View Wikidata in British English"
through the internationalisation header, despite the fact that this
will make it less usable, less comprehensible, and generally less
informative. There's no indication that this will screw things up, and
no obvious way for an inexpert user to figure out how to fix it (by
switching back to en-default)

If fallback languages aren't going to be available soon, then we
really need to think - at the very least - about disabling this
message.

Andrew.

On 4 May 2014 00:28, Joe Filceolaire <filceola...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where are we with fallback languages?
>
> I did a session for new editors with Magnus last weekend and one of the
> questions that came up was why one of the students couldn't see most of the
> labels - he had his language set to British English. He asked why there was
> no fallback to international English.
>
> Joe
>

> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> > Anything to add? Please share! :)
>>
>> You forgot the part where we made big improvements to the DataModel
>> component :)
>>
>> I wrote a blog post about some of that
>> http://www.bn2vs.com/blog/2014/04/30/wikibase-datamodel-entity-v2/
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Jeroen De Dauw - http://www.bn2vs.com
>> Software craftsmanship advocate
>> Evil software architect at Wikimedia Germany

- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk