On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 14:34 -0700, Peter wrote:

> My little brain needs some help. If I distributed soemthing as a
> CC-BY-
> SA and somebody translated that work to Chinese wouldn't they be in
> violation of the CC-BY-SA license by selling it?

Nope -- they wouldn't be in violation of selling the text. However they
would be in violation if the didn't release the derivative work under
the same conditions as for example the English version.  Assuming the
original text came from WikiEducator, given the clear intent and
conditions of the free cultural works definition they should release the
translated version in editable and free file formats so that access will
always be open.

Its an open question whether corporates will honour these provisions,
and in this respect I understand Stephen's arguments. By the same token
it should also be a free choice for learners whether they opt to buy a
"commercial" copy of the OER content or choose to access the open
digital version and print themselves.

For us at WIkiEducator -- long term sustainability is a strategic
objective for the project, and WE is thinking about how value-added
services around free content might contribute to the economic
sustainability of the project over the long term, while at the same time
not denying anyone the freedom to earn their own living.

Its still early days in the OER movement to conclusively see which
models will be more sustainable than others.