Alison, Randy

The implementation of RTE will also impact on our training and support
initiatives. We're in the final stages of polishing a set of revised RTE
help tutorials to be used for WikiEducators who prefer WYSIWYG editing.

I agree -- we must continue to find creative ways to help and support
educators to collaborate. The implementation of RTE removes a barrier to
participation. I think this is also going to save considerable teaching time
in our training efforts. The time we save in teaching standard wiki syntax
can now be reinvested into helping WikiEducators become more collaborative.

The wiki model is a new approach for the vast majority of our new users. For
example:

   - 61.5% of new users indicate that WikiEducator is their first wiki
   account -- i.e. they have not created a wiki account on any other wiki
   - 65.7% of new users rate their wiki skills and competence to edit a wiki
   as "Beginner" (which which corresponds with the figure above.)

To be fair, learning to collaborate in a wiki can be daunting for a newbie.
Apart from learning how to edit, you need to know how to find collaborating
partners, what tools / or wiki features support collaboration, what are the
protocols and ethics around wiki collaboration etc. Would it make sense for
us to develop a tutorial(s) on how to collaborate in WikiEducator? Would
newbies find this useful?

In this regard,  I've just posted an email to our team of Learning4Content
facilitators (as well as a copy of my message in the wiki). See:
http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_rich_text_editor_tutorials/Planning_for_restructuring/reconfiguring_the_L4C_curriculum#Wayne.27s_note_to_L4C_facilitors_.288_Feb_2010.29.

Be keen to hear your thoughts.

On 8 February 2010 14:25, Alison Snieckus <alison.sniec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats to Jim on the effective move. Well done. RTE is a powerful and
> wonderful addition. And glad to know that some formerly hard edges have a
> smoother finish.
>
> Randy, I agree that small groups working together is something that we
> should work on. I'm going to be looking for opportunities to join in on
> on-going projects. I think this is one way we can start to be more
> collaborative.
>
> Alison
> http://wikieducator.org/User:ASnieckus
>

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Randy Fisher <wikira...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Savithri - you're right indeed.
>>
>> We've removed a barrier to entry.
>>
>> What would be a great next step, is to get individuals to cluster into
>> small groups, to support each other in the development of their respective
>> OERs.
>>
>> - Randy
>>

>  --

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380