Yes, I think it would be very helpful to have very simple guidelines for collaboration.  I have been finding it hard to find my way around in wikieducator almost because there is too much information...I also wish that you would spell out things that are symbolized by letters at least in the first mention in each e-mail.  I need words not letters for understanding.  Joyce

Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
Sent by: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
02/08/2010 02:00 PM ZE12Please respond towikieduca...@googlegroups.com

 To   wikieducator@googlegroups.com
 cc
 bcc   Joyce McKnight/SUNY
 Subject   Re: [WikiEducator] WikiEducator service restored

Alison, Randy

The implementation of RTE will also impact on our training and support initiatives. We're in the final stages of polishing a set of revised RTE help tutorials to be used for WikiEducators who prefer WYSIWYG editing.

I agree -- we must continue to find creative ways to help and support educators to collaborate. The implementation of RTE removes a barrier to participation. I think this is also going to save considerable teaching time in our training efforts. The time we save in teaching standard wiki syntax can now be reinvested into helping WikiEducators become more collaborative.

The wiki model is a new approach for the vast majority of our new users. For example:

  • 61.5% of new users indicate that WikiEducator is their first wiki account -- i.e. they have not created a wiki account on any other wiki
  • 65.7% of new users rate their wiki skills and competence to edit a wiki as "Beginner" (which which corresponds with the figure above.)

To be fair, learning to collaborate in a wiki can be daunting for a newbie. Apart from learning how to edit, you need to know how to find collaborating partners, what tools / or wiki features support collaboration, what are the protocols and ethics around wiki collaboration etc. Would it make sense for us to develop a tutorial(s) on how to collaborate in WikiEducator? Would newbies find this useful?

In this regard,  I've just posted an email to our team of Learning4Content facilitators (as well as a copy of my message in the wiki). See: http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_rich_text_editor_tutorials/Planning_for_restructuring/reconfiguring_the_L4C_curriculum#Wayne.27s_note_to_L4C_facilitors_.288_Feb_2010.29

Be keen to hear your thoughts.