HI Edward,

You're right -- there is not much discussion on the site yet -- its new.

Abel Caine, from the OER Programme from the Communication and Information
(CI) Sector at UNESCO is taking the lead in setting up an international OER
discussion community with a number of sub-community discussions. It appears
that international OER discussions now have a committed home within UNESCO
system and that the CI sector is serious about supporting ongoing OER
discussions.

Previously IIPE at UNESCO hosted a number of email-based OER forums, but
they closed the discussions after each session :-(. The IIPE at UNESCO, who
hosted these email discussion lists, were reluctant to migrate to a
web-based platform. The old OER wiki hosted by IIPE at UNESCO  has also been
neglected (http://oerwiki.iiep.unesco.org) and sadly, it has been getting a
fair share of spam with little community support to help monitor the
problem.

I'm pleased to see that UNESCO are using an OSS platform (elgg) for this new
initiative. They are also committing code improvements back to the elgg
community and great to see an international agency getting involved in
supporting FOSS developments.

The OER Foundation is keen to help and support UNESCO in building a
representative international discussion place for OER. I think UNESCO is a
good place to host these kinds of discussions because this avoids the issues
associated with institution-based projects.

We're planning to host the OER university planning discussions on the
platform and will give this a try.

At the moment the site doesn't support self-registration -- but the OER
Foundation will assist anyone from our community who would like to
participate in our relevant groups. I understand that the UNESCO team are
looking at an OpenID / self-registration solution.

So let's keep the pressure on UNESCO to get self-registration sorted ;-)

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |