Muvaffak and others,

I like your call to think big. For the purpose, please consider the notion
of combinatorics for course design. It comes from the principle of
individualized and localized instruction.

There are several dozen major "schools of economics" that want their
"Economy 101" to be quite different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_economics Let us say, 30.

Different career paths require different beginner courses. At the very
least, people who go into social sciences, physical sciences, and
mathematics and statistics want different approaches to their economics.
Multiply 30*30=90 at the very least, though ideally, courses address much
more narrow fields, such as "Economy 101 for freelance curriculum designers"
:-)

Then consider developmental stages of learners. Economy 101 at the level of
elementary arithmetic is very different from Economy 101 for post-doctorates
who never happened to look at economics before. Traditional levels are
elementary, secondary, undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate, though
this system is very crude - but let's take it for now, so we have 90*5=450

There are a lot of choices in course design by how it is taught. Each choice
means significant course redesign.
Individually paced or lock-step paced? 450*2=900
Individual learning, small group, or large group? 900*3=2700
Teacher-driven or peer-to-peer? 2700*2=5400
Project-based or exercise-based? 5400*2=108,000
There are dozens more such variables.

Then there are choices by media (rich media vs. books vs. experiential), by
country and language and culture, by the length and the depth of the
course... I think I made the point that the number of Economy 101 courses it
would be good to have in the world, if education is to be individualized and
localized, is measured by millions, not tens.

In practice, this means going for highly modular structures of curriculum
design. Categories such as those I named above become tags for curricular
activities. Then a learner or an educator can put together a course by
computer-assisted search through the database of course activities. Every
new activity added to the system multiplies the possibilities of course
creation, just like each new type of Lego blocks multiplies the number of
possible constructions.

Returning to Muvaffak's call - let's think big! Modular, open and
combinatorial ideas in course and platform design definitely support it.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.