Hi Will, we generally can find critics mainly from those who cannot
understand or do not have patience when newbies make mistakes. Obviously I
also have this problem sometimes (for this some ironic comments when I
suggested in a recent topic suggesting  we should criticize more
kindly<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-May/071742.html>),
for this I believe it'll take sometime for we, as a group or even Wikimedia
Foundation as an organization, to realise the importance of making mistakes
<http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/dennett/papers/howmista.htm> and give more
importance on our learnings.

My general feeling is that we lack the necessary patience and the
limitation of online communication tends to raise unnecessary issues
(sometimes called wikidramas), but I have no idea how this cultural change
can be achieved in the Wikimedia community. Maybe it will come with
nonviolent communication <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_Communication> or when we learn to
ignore the violence and deal with it with wisdom.

Leadership in this (crazy, in the good sense :) horizontal community can
also be a factor to improve the discussions environment, be it on mailing
lists, forums or the wiki. The TeaHouse is a great example. The ideia of
Wikipedia ambassadors to work on educational environments, although not
sustainable in the mid term, is another cool idea. Those great videos made
by Victor idem. More ideias will come, I believe. :)

Tom