On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/06/2014, aude <aude.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (for the record, i attended the conference as a volunteer and 100% paid
> for
> > myself ... no scholarship, nothing,  and think that's the case for most
> > attendees)
>
> Could one of the conference organizers provide the totals for two
> measures to avoid speculation and hearsay:
>
> 1. The proportion of women attendees.
>
> 2. The total number of unpaid volunteers taking part AND The total
> number of employees attending as volunteers AND The total number of
> employees being paid to support the conference.
>
> My original question seemed simple to me. These are basic statistics
> that any Wikimedia conference registration process should be able to
> provide without compromising anyone's privacy.
>
> As has been raised before, giving a figure of "50 volunteers attended
> this conference" looks peculiar, and potentially misleadingly
> political, when someone can afterwards point out that 15 out of the 50
> were Chapter and Foundation employees or contractors whether they were
> being paid for their time to attend or not.

I am sure detailed reporting will come, but please give the organizers some
time.

Just some observations...

There were just a handful of WMF staff there, and no chapter employees
(afaik, except myself who did not attend in that capacity).

number of employees being paid to support the conference is zero, unless
you want to count the venue staff for security, etc.

Please note that the venue was donated at no cost to Wikimedia, and there
were a number of other sponsors who sponsored the evening reception at the
conference.

details:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_US-NYC/WikiConference_USA_2014#Budget_and_resources

about the gender diversity, it's just a guesstimate but i'd say ~35-40%
women in attendance.  (i think conference reporting will provide more stats)

Cheers,
Katie

@wikimediadc / @wikidata