As someone who usually wears a suit and tie to Wikimedia events when I go
(Hong Kong last year was the exception to that for the most part, way too
humid), my advice to people would be to wear whatever the hell you feel
comfortable in, subject to the normal standards of decency and the local
climate.  If you feel comfortable in a hoodie, then wear one.  If you feel
comfortable in a tie and monocle, then go right ahead.  Picking on people
for their choice of clothes at a conference seems awfully petty to me.
 Ultimately, you'll contribute more and be able to absorb more from others
if you're not worrying about how tight your tie is or fretting over whether
you'll be asked to leave for violating a dress code.

Cheers,
Craig "That Guy In A Suit" Franklin