On 6/17/14, 5:52 PM, George William Herbert wrote:

On Jun 17, 2014, at 8:37 AM, Emmanuel Engelhart <kel...@kiwix.org> wrote:

On 17.06.2014 17:26, George William Herbert wrote:
We need an Uncommons, where the strict open license / PD rules are abandoned
and we accept images as long as their fair use can be established.  And don't
delete unless that fair use is credibly questioned.

Conflating and comingling our educational role with open content advocacy was
always risky and is proving impossible.  Without devaluing open content, we
need to separately support fair use for educational purposes, and stop letting
cross-project advocacy games screw with our educational mission.

Third parties may or may not be able to re-redistribute, but we simply put it up with an
explicit "reuse at your own risk".
"reuse at your own risk" = "risky" = "no reuse for most actors"
Well done!
Not my problem.

Educational role.

The whole mission of the movement, including its educational mission, is *produce freely reusable content*, not just to run a website. Wikipedia in particular is an open-content encyclopedia, which can be adapted to many educational and other uses, by Wikimedians and third parties. If it's not an open-content encyclopedia, for example if Wikipedia articles make use of provincial American copyright loopholes that render them illegal to redistribute here in Denmark, imo it has failed in its educational mission. In my view, the fact that I (an educator not in the United States) should be able to legally reproduce and distribute Wikipedia articles, is part of the whole point of an open-content educational project.

-Mark