Has it ever come to the mind that something is going wrong on how the
community is approached?

Has it ever come to the mind that some software implementations have gone
to hastily with negative effects?

That the community reacts the way it does now, is because they care very
much about the site and they notice something is terrible going wrong on
WMF side and too less is done to fix those problems/issues!

Apparently nothing (or not enough) has been learned from the VE 2013 fiasco.

Romaine