On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Garfield,
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Is there public documentation somewhere about WMF investment policy? Who
> manages the investments, how was that firm or people chosen, and how often
> is the performance and risk of the portfolio and the investment manager
> reviewed by the Board? I am particularly interested in making sure that the
> investments chosen are in alignment with the values of the Foundation and
> have suitable risk levels, and I hope that the Board reviews these issues
> periodically.

Hey Pine, it looks like you may be looking for
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Investment_Policy
and https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Investment_Guidance.

I will say that as someone on the internal 401k committee ( employee
retirement program) mission and values driven decisions are incredibly
difficult to balance well with our legal fiduciary responsibility and so
always ended up having to be a secondary (though not ignored) issue. That
is, however, a bit of a different case then the greater WMF investments
since our main job is to make sure good 'options' are available for the
staff to choose from rather then actually controlling their money.

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur