I and the investment management team that has been selected to manage the
short term and long term reserves of the Foundation are open to any
consensus guidance on what "socially responsible" investing looks like in
our context.

Regards,

Garfield

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Richard Symonds <
richard.symo...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Hmm. I'm not sure that everyone will agree on all of those values you
> espouse, Pine - they are laudable goals but as an organisation that also
> aims to be "neutral", moving in a left-of-centre direction might be frowned
> on by some.
>
> Limiting investment options would also limit the returns on those
> investments - which would impact our mission (might be good, might be bad)
> - and limiting returns on investments would also in turn impact a lot of
> other things, for example, the recommended figures that the WMF and
> Chapters hold in reserve.
>
> A complicated issue.
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
>
> On 15 October 2014 15:52, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org>
> > wrote:

> > > It's also highly disputable that the Foundation would be justified in
> > > reducing the fiduciary care it must employ in its investment strategy
> > > for a set of ill-defined objectives that fall entirely outside its
> > > mission - no matter how agreeable those objectives may be to many of
> the
> > > volunteers.
> > >
> > > -- Marc
> > >

> > I'm not a natural fan of "divestment ethics", but I don't know that there
> > is much dispute these days that it is possible to fulfill fiduciary
> duties
> > *and* invest using values / ethics oriented strategy. Twenty years ago
> > perhaps it was uncommon, but today ethical (or social responsibility)
> > investment strategy is common among non-profits and there are many
> > dedicated funds for the purpose.

Garfield Byrd
Chief of Finance and Administration
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext 6787
415.882.0495 (fax)
www.wikimediafoundation.org

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

*https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*