Tim Landscheidt, 01/12/2014 04:22:
>Also, I'm no expert on EU regulations, but I do observe that
>according to the European Payments Council, it seems payees
>receiving SEPA credit transfers are advised to communicate
>the IBAN "only where necessary":
>http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/sepa-credit-transfer/iban-and-bic/
>(and likewise for payers making direct debit payments).
That text and Regulation 260/2012 it refers to use "only
where necessary" to refer to the publication of the*BIC*  as
it is only necessary for routing in the transition period
that ends February 1st, 2016 at the latest.

Besides, «Note: the European Payments Council (EPC), representing the European banking industry in relation to payments, is not a European Union (EU) legislative body».

Michael Snow, 01/12/2014 03:59:
> I'm not sure why you would conclude they are unaware of a possible form
> for fraud just because they don't specifically identify it on their
> website.

Because part of the ECB mandate is to identify, combat and educate about payment systems risks. There are dozens of watchdogs ensuring they actually do (the biggest might be BEUC). If WMF, with its certainly outstanding computer security knowledge, identified security risks which ECB is not forthcoming about, I'd expect WMF to communicate with ECB, and if necessary partner with consumerist associations, so that such risks are communicated to 516 millions SEPA area citizens.

Risker, 01/12/2014 06:31:
>   Banks in Canada regularly call their customers for
> transactions under $5 because fraud is so common - and that is with chip
> cards and PINs.

And what does this tell us about EU/SEPA banking system?

Nemo