On 29/11/14 10:05, Lodewijk wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. It's surprising to me that posting a bank
> account number could lead to fraud - the bank systems are supposed to be
> robust enough for that.

My understanding is this is mostly a problem in the US, from what I
heard from Garfield. I asked him because Wikimedia CH broadcast its IBAN
number everywhere for the fundraising, so I would have liked to know of
any potential problem, but there does not seem to be any in Europe.

(I don't know much about the US banking system, but it looks like
knowing someone's account number may indeed be enough to wreak havoc on
their account; see for example the recollection of computer scientist
Donald Knuth, who had to stop sending checks to people who discover
errors in his books: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/news08.html)

> I know that all charities in the Netherlands post
> this number on their website - maybe it could be worth while to reach out
> and see if switching banks might improve the security, if Citibank didn't
> fix it themselves?

It is definitively the case in Switzerland too -- and the reason why we
(Wikimedia CH) are very efficient at low cost fundraising: the marginal
cost of direct bank deposit is close to 0%. And we get about 6 bank
deposits for every credit card donation.

F.