I’m sorry, Andreas, but I cannot in good conscience support your stance calling
for the closure of Wikipedia Zero, coming from a country that has so far
benefited from the program not only in terms of the number of new readers that
we have, but also potentially pave the way for more users as well.

While I understand the risks of the program in countries like Kazakhstan, you
cannot possibly think that every country where Wikipedia Zero has been deployed
would go so far as to actively manipulate information to keep readers ignorant.
 The Philippines prides itself for a strong culture of freedom of speech and we
have Wikipedia Zero.  I don’t see the Philippine government actively dictating
the course of the projects’ evolution, so it isn’t fair that we would have to
suffer from any loss of Wikipedia Zero because of what a totalitarian regime
can do, when you don’t even materially benefit from the program’s existence.

I’ve become extremely annoyed at the insistence of Wikipedians in developed
countries that Wikipedia Zero poses no net benefit to the movement, when in
fact in developing countries it not only has helped bring greater awareness of
Wikipedia, but also provides a conduit for passive readers to become
Wikipedians as well.  Having seen this first-hand (Wikipedia mobile pageviews
in the Philippines jumped, based on what I’ve been told, after Wikipedia Zero
was rolled out), it is not fair that you’re asking the developing world to
sacrifice bringing knowledge to people simply because you Wikipedians in the
United States, Western Europe or wherever have the luxury to actually dictate
the finer points of net neutrality on your own terms.  We don’t have that
luxury when we have to pay sky-high data usage charges (and, in the
Philippines’ case, sky-high data usage charges with onerous data caps!).

I am all for freedom of speech.  I have always advocated for freedom of speech,
and will continue to fight for it.  But if your problem with Wikipedia Zero is
that content could be warped to fit a certain state’s agenda, then the problem
is not on your reader, but on us as a community.  We HAVE to make more users to
prevent this from happening, and you don’t do that when you shut out a
potential base of new users because we think that Wikipedia Zero serves to keep
people ignorant rather than challenges them to think.  I think people, no
matter where in the world they’re from, are smarter than that.

Seriously, I’m sick and tired of hearing people in the developed world tell us
in the developing world that Wikipedia Zero brings no net benefit to us.
Remember that Wikipedia Zero is a platform for distributing content—it doesn’t
generate content on its own.  If you have problems with the program, then the
onus is on us as a community to fix it, since all I’ve been hearing from
detractors of the program is that we’re filtering out content.  Then why don’t
we try harder to make our content even more inclusive, huh?

*rant over*

Thanks,

Josh

> Wiadomość napisana przez Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> w dniu 31 mar
> 2015, o godz. 02:37:
>
> The recent Newsweek story on the Wifione / IIPM admin corruption case[1]
> has clear implications for Wikipedia Zero.
>
> Wikipedia Zero creates hundreds of millions of passive Wikipedia users who:
>
> - Cannot see the sources of a Wikipedia article (I believe SMS users cannot
> even see which statements *are* sourced and to what)
> - Cannot view alternative sources
> - Cannot meaningfully edit Wikipedia (lacking access to new sources)
>
> At the same time, Wikipedia Zero creates a monopoly position for Wikipedia
> that makes the site an even greater target for manipulation by local
> elites, who *do* enjoy full read/write access to Wikipedia. Such monopolies
> are fundamentally incompatible with the values underlying the idea of a
> free and open web. Monopolies ultimately result in *control* rather than
> *freedom* of information.
>
> The Wifione case illustrates that even in the English Wikipedia attempts at
> manipulation, focused on topics that the average Wikipedia contributor has
> little interest in or knowledge about, can be successful and remain
> undetected for years. Small, regional-language Wikipedias are far more
> unstable still, as the example of the Croatian Wikipedia demonstrated all
> too clearly.
>
> Wikipedia is far too vulnerable to become the gatekeeper for information in
> developing countries -- if such a gatekeeper were even desirable (which it
> is not).
>
> To give another example, I see that Wikipedia Zero is available in
> Kazakhstan.
>
> Jimmy Wales recently asserted on Reddit that the Kazakh government "does
> not control the Kazahk *[sic]* Wikipedia".[2]
>
> The Kazakh government, however, seems to disagree with Jimmy Wales.[3]
>
> The Kazakh Prime Minister's official website has stated since 2011 that the
> Kazakh Wikipedia project "is implemented under the auspices of the
> Government of Kazakhstan and with the support of Prime Minister Karim
> Massimov", quoting the head of WikiBilim and 2011 Wikipedian of the Year,
> who today holds the office of a Deputy Governor in the Kazakh government[4]
> and is the Founding Director of a Brussels-based think tank, the "Eurasian
> Council on Foreign Affairs", which is widely considered a PR front of the
> Kazakh government.[5][6][7]
>
> Is aiding the market dominance and penetration of such a source through
> Wikipedia Zero in line with movement values? Is the type of collaboration
> described on Wikimedia's Outreach page for Kazakhstan?[8] I don't think so.
>
> I thought we were on the side of those fighting for freedom of speech, not
> the side of those suppressing it.
>
> It's a concrete example of Wikipedia Zero aiding an oppressive government
> in the control of information -- not at some point in the future, but today.

> [...]

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>