Hi Jens,

In the absence of any meaningful alternative, what should we do then?  Close
down Wikipedia Zero and let the developing world languish in the dark?  We talk
of a "more sustainable way to bring free knowledge (which is far more than
Wikipedia)”, yet we’re not seeing anything coming out of this discussion.

I will be brutally honest to everyone in this mailing list: this entire
discussion about Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality has become very patronizing
against us in the developing world who benefit from the program.  The fact that
we’re having this discussion without developing world voices (other than
myself) is already troubling in itself since, so far, every discussion about
Wikipedia Zero that I’ve seen only includes those "white, privileged and
well-educated people” who you defend.

And yet you guys talk as if you know what’s best for the developing world.
That’s the tone that I’ve been sensing in this entire discussion thus far, and
I’m sorry, but it’s not helpful.  Please don’t speak as if you guys know what
it’s like on the ground in Asia or Africa.

I’ve had to swallow my own pride just to accept the fact that net neutrality
has to take the back burner to bringing more information out there to people.
I have always believed in net neutrality as a means of ensuring a free and open
Internet to everybody.  But if you’re in a country like the Philippines where
the majority of people don’t even have the luxury of going online (and if you
do, it’s bloody expensive), then having access to some information—even if that
information is imperfect—is still better than none at all, since at least we
can still correct any misinformation that may arise.  And as Wikipedians, we
are in a position to do just that through ensuring that our content is
well-monitored, neutral and comprehensive so that at least there’s a multitude
of viewpoints present even if the information is coming from a single source.

We should make people in the developing world aware of net neutrality, yes, but
we must also be careful to consider the existing socio-economic conditions of
the countries where this program has been deployed.  I am all for the sharing
of knowledge and the free exchange of information for the greatest benefit, but
we cannot have that discussion if people are not able to have access to the
Internet in the first place.  We cannot afford at this point to put the cart
before the horse, and as I’ve mentioned earlier, in the absence of a meaningful
alternative, this is the best we can do so far.

Also, just so you know: Wikipedia Zero, at least in this country, is being
implemented by a local telecom with no discernible link to the big players like
Orange or T-Mobile or Telenor.  They view it so far as good CSR and not as a
means of controlling the flow of information or wanting to make a profit.  So
yeah, at least for us it’s been good so far.  If it happens though that things
turn sour, then expect us to fight for our principles.

Thanks,

Josh

> Wiadomość napisana przez Jens Best <best.j...@gmail.com> w dniu 31 mar 2015,
> o godz. 15:27:
>
> Dear Gerard,
>
> your arguments are just emotional rhetorics. Saying that "white, privileged
> and well educated" people aren't allowed to critize ways how
> first-world-led telecoms (like Orange, Telenor) are spreading a wrong,
> non-open "internet" in developing countries is just plain emotional
> rhetoric far away from any fact.
>
> Wikipedia Zero is NOT bringing the free knowledge of the world to the
> people, it's bringing Wikipedia to the people, not more, not less. Also,
> zero-rating is helping to establish user habits which are used to have
> different prices for different kinds of data - That is the clearest
> violation of net neutrality and therefore of an open and free web.
>
> Ignoring this is just helping the (first-world-led) Telecoms to establish
> NOT a free internet which also helped to create something like Wikipedia,
> but a walled garden system where you pay for different data of even (as it
> is the case e.g. in some parts of India) different websites. I think that
> it is ignorant to profit only short-term by bringing a Walled Wikipedia to
> the people and having Wikipedia in this exclusive deal in comparison to
> establish a sustainable way to bring free knowledge (which is far more than
> Wikipedia) to the people.
>
> There must be another way to work for the value of "free knowledge for the
> people" but to destroy net neutrality and the experience of an open web in
> the very beginning at the same time. It is the duty of WMF to take care
> also of the framework which enabled Wikipedia in the start. Ignoring this
> and being proud of having a comfortable deal with some Telecoms is plain
> wrong and irresponsible - especially for a free and open digital
> development of the Global South.
>
> best regards
>
> Jens Best

>> Hoi,
>> With Wikipedia Zero people have access to knowledge that they would not
>> have otherwise. It is well established that having information readily
>> available is an important indicator for further development. Not having
>> Wikipedia available is absolutely a worse situation than having it.
>>
>> Your argument is imho a bleeding heart stance. Would it not be better if..
>> My answer is sure HOWEVER given that the objective of Wikipedia is to share
>> in the sum of all knowledge, your argument is decidedly secondary. Sources
>> may be important but they are secondary to having the information available
>> in the first place. As long as we have sources in full blown Wikipedia, as
>> long as it is WMF that provides the Wikipedia Zero content... what is your
>> point. Yes, ideally we want people to ensure that people know about
>> sources. When sources are just statements of fact and they are in turn not
>> accessible because of cost. What is your point in practical terms?

> [...]

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>