It would be nice if there was an appropriately qualified person who was
interested in the position - although one must remember that the previous
Deputy ED and VP Engineering was very much "of the community" and several
past and current engineering and tech leaders (and staff!) have come from
the community as well.

On the other hand, given the scope of the job, it really needs someone with
solid managerial experience to handle a very large team and the lion's
share of the WMF's budget.  While there is a lot of talent in the community
(and even in the WMF), this job requires much more than
developer/engineering skills. The WMF does have some experience with
pushing talented and highly motivated developers/engineers into management
positions, where they didn't have the skill sets (or, in several cases, the
innate desire) to be the kind of leaders needed for those positions; it
wasn't a good situation for either the engineers or the WMF.  Or, to twist
an old expression, it's not good use of resources to try and make a silk
purse out of a Cray supercomputer.

Best wishes to Damon.

Risker/Anne