I appreciate the combined QRs. Questions and comments:

1. Will the friendly-space "expectations" (policy?) for grants spaces on
Meta be proposed as an RfC on Meta? The documentation on the rollout plan
doesn't mention and RfC. My understanding is that the right way to
implement a policy change like this on Meta is for it to go through an open
and transparent RfC process, and that the implementation decision is
ultimately the community's to make. The experience would inform further
discussions about (1) a project-wide friendly space policy on Meta, and (2)
a wider consultation on a friendly space amendment to the ToS that the WMF
Board may eventually ratify.

2. CA says that there are "...a (legal-approved) list of... event banned
users", "a protocol for appearance (or threat of it) at events by banned
users" and that it will "Supply to Conference Coordinators for events
beginning in Q1 (6/30)." Here at Cascadia Wikimedians, I didn't receive the
list or the protocol. I'm not sure that we need the list, but having access
to the protocol would be helpful, and I suggest that it be circulated among
the leaders of affiliate organizations which have in-person meetings even
if they are not "conferences", since we may want to use WMF's protocol as a
basis for developing our own, keeping in mind that local laws may vary.
This aligns with the general goal of having friendly spaces in Wikimedia,
both physical and virtual.

3. What are the goals for the CA meeting with Stewards?

4. For F&A, I propose that next year there is an additional measure of
success for the Annual Plan that goes something like this: "Complete annual
plan draft with all supporting documents such as budget tables and job
descriptions will be published for community review by April 15. Community
review and discussion period will happen through May 15, with staff
responding to each question within one week of the question being asked.
Annual Plan revisions, taking community feedback into account, are
completed by June 1 for Board to review during the full month of June. At
least one Board meeting during which the Annual Plan is reviewed will be
open to the community through remote video participation."

5. A couple of teams in a few departments seem to have spent significant
time on simply developing their goals for the next year. The amount of time
being used on planning seems excessive in some cases. I would suggest
developing standardized processes for goal development, perhaps with the
assistance of Team Practices, Learning & Evaluation, and/or Human Resources.

6. A Communications Department goal was to "Advance Wikimedia movement
goals through Executive Director visits and speeches". I feel the need to
ask if it's necessary for the WMF ED to travel so much when neither senior
position in WMF technology and engineering is filled, and the ED isn't
keeping up with community discussions on her talk page or the Annual Plan
talk page. This suggests an overstretched ED. I would suggest more time on
technology/engineering management and community discussion, and
de-prioritization of site visits until engineering management is
stabilized. In the future, I would also encourage building more time into
ED schedule for reactive measures, such as for more publicly visible
leadership and communications surrounding the Annual Plan process that went
off-track in 2015.

7. I am glad that the "Future of knowledge" film was cut from the budget.
There are many better uses for those funds, such as videos that market
Wikipedia editing to potential editors, or that explain to potential
editors how to add content to Wikipedia.

8. "Messaging platform": in one place the Comms QR says that this was
cancelled, and in another place the QR says that this was postponed. Which
is it, and what is the goal for this platform?

9. Comms appendix E: I would cut "Many happy returns" and "Rallying cry".
The latter is particularly problematic given that we're also fighting for
user privacy. I would amplify "Everyone is a Wikipedian" and "Capture the
entire world's experience of Wikipedia", because I think that those will
resonate. We may also want to add another concept about the value of
Wikipedia for readers; ask "What would the world be like without Wikipedia?"

10. I was impressed with the detailed development of the personas for user
research. Those can be useful for thinking about product development and
testing.

11. I like the overall QR format, the notes on Meta, and their
consolidation in to the format presented here. This makes it relatively
easy to understand what's happening inside of WMF. The evolution of the QR
process is very nice to see. I know that this causes some stress for people
who are presenting their projects, but overall I think the organization is
healthier for having these reviews, and the transparency is especially
welcome.

Regards,

Pine

Pine