I think Andrew is right: the WLM banner serves as a pointer, and it's very
easy to remember "go on Wikipedia and click into the banner on the top".
It's much more difficult to remember the strange name of the contest (in
Italy it's still called "Wiki Loves Monuments", even if it's English).

And of course we do not have good analytics for the banner: nobody knows
homw many page views there are in a single wiki per day, so we cannot count
the clickthroughs (which we have as the link is on a WLM landing page).

Aubrey