I thought the mandate of this committee was to facilitate and coordinate
bidding, set up policy and best practices. The page on Meta still mention
the same as its purpose[1].

When did a committee intended to facilitate an already established, open
process make the leap to downright owning the process and instead, doing
away with it all together? We went from an open jury system to finalizing
things behind closed doors in a physical meeting that seemingly the same
people attend regularly.

It's downright patronizing to hear plans about rotating wikimania from
Europe (excluding eastern Europe for some reason?), to North america and
the "rest of the world". This seems more like someone picking holiday
destinations, talking about countries, entire continents and rest of the
world, in a manner so cavalier.

It's constantly mentioned that the open bidding process is unwieldy and too
cumbersome. While that may be true for the bidding teams, it's still an
open, accessible process that gives everyone the same chance. The entire
idea of the committee was to move the process away from a single
individual's initiative to a group, not make the same individual chair who
just does away with the entire process and decides things on a whim.

Lastly, I don't think this is the usual WMF communication shortfall. This
is more of a committee issue, with its quasi-official status, they took
some liberty with the entire process and their own stated purpose, made
some sweeping changes and forgot to tell anyone, for months. The foundation
could have been as out of the loop as the rest of us.

Theo

[1]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Committee#Purpose_and_process