On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Lila Tretikov <l...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> What I hear in email from Andreas and Liam is not as much the propagation
> of the error (which I am sure happens with some % of the cases), but the
> fact that the original source is obscured and therefore it is hard to
> identify and correct errors, biases, etc. Because if the source of error is
> obscured, that error is that much harder to find and to correct. In fact,
> we see this even on Wikipedia articles today (wrong dates of births sourced
> from publications that don't do enough fact checking is something I came
> across personally). It is a powerful and important principle on Wikipedia,
> but with content re-use it gets lost. Public domain/CC0 in combination with
> AI lands our content for slicing and dicing and re-arranging by others,
> making it something entirely new, but also detached from our process of
> validation and verification. I am curious to hear if people think it is a
> problem. It definitely worries me.

​This conversation seems to have morphed into trying to solve some problems
that we are speculating Google might have (no one here actually *knows* how
the Knowledge Graph works, of course; maybe it's sensitive to manipulation
of Wikidata claims, maybe not). That seems like an entirely fruitless line
of discourse to me; if the problem exists, it is Google's problem to solve
(since they are the ones in a position to tell if it's a real problem or
not; not to mention they have two or three magnitudes more resources to
throw at it than the Wikimedia movement would). Trying to make our content
less free for fear that someone might misuse it is a shamefully wrong frame
of mind for and organization that's supposed to be a leader of the open
content movement, IMO.