Jane,

The issue is that you can't cite one Wikipedia article as a source in
another. If, as some envisage, you were to fill Wikipedia's infoboxes with
Wikidata content that's unsourced, or sourced only to a Wikipedia, you'd be
doing exactly that, and violating WP:V in the process:

"Do not use articles from Wikipedia as sources. Also, do not use *websites
that mirror Wikipedia content or publications that rely on material from
Wikipedia as sources*." (WP:CIRCULAR)

That includes Wikidata. As long as Wikidata doesn't provide external
sourcing, it's unusable in Wikipedia.

Andreas