Hoi,
Anthony, having sources is desired. The point is not that we do not want
them. We clearly do. My point is that it is not the only yardstick of
success and quality.

As I argued, Wikidata may be a tool to link links and red links properly.
It will improve quality in both Wikipedia and Wikidata. It has nothing to
do with sources at the Wikipedia end because links are already based on
existing sources. It improves quality because it is assured that the link
go  where they are supposed to go given the source :) .

When we ensure quality for all our Wikipedias, the implicit quality rises
in Wikidata because we clearly want statements that describe the relation.
As relations are linked to Wikipedia, the source of that Wikipedia applies.
It does not mean that by other means the quality of the statements will not
be checked and improved.

In this way everybody wins. It is about our quality, it is measurable, it
is achievable, it is SMART. Requiring statements for every Wikidata
statement at this time of its life cycle is not.
Thanks,
      GerardM