Thank you, Sarah for an excellent question.  Sometimes I compare Wikimedia
with an iceberg, only a small portion is visible.

When we started investigating this problem we found out that nearly 30% of
searches on Wikipedia return no results at all. That motivated us to dig
deeper.

Since then we've made our first improvements (by about  1 million  searches
a day) , but we have a very long way to go...especially searching across
sites. Commons for example is a very tough one that we will need to help
one day.

I encourage you to read through,  I tried to explain our thinking the best
I could,  but I can always use help :)

Lila

sent from mobile. please excuse typos.