My impression of this whole situation with the Knight Foundation is that
the WMF's strong tendency toward closed-door and closed-loop processes are
hurting WMF more than helping it. If WMF had been transparent with the
community about this situation in the first place and a consultation with
the community had happened as negotiations were underway with Knight, I am
wondering if a mutually agreeable solution could have been created at that
time. Now we're in the midst of a lot of skepticism, suspicion, and
political difficulties.

Perhaps after the experiences of the past few months WMF governance will
re-align itself with the value of openness.

Hope springs eternal,

Pine