Rather, we should spend more, possibly several times as much. We need much
wider participation, both for Wikimania and for regional conferences, and
the only practical way to achieve that is to pay full expenses for all
regular participants who want to attend.  It should not be an elite event.
The WMF is running a considerable surplus, and we should spend 5 or 10 %
 of it on interpersonal live access to  each other.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:02 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
> <it...@wikimedia.org.il> wrote:
> > If we want to talk about the cost of Wikimania it will be great if the
> WMF
> > and the local team will share the costs.
> >
> > Until now Wikimania London didn't published anything:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2014/Budget
> >
> > And also Mexico:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2015/Budget
> >
> > Maybe I missed something, but it's strange that such discussion takes
> place
> > without a real budget breakdown. To summarize 2 huge event to "1$ million
> > USD" does not make sense.
>
> I agree.  Without public data, how can there be an informed public
> consultation.
>
> I've asked for similar data at:
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania#Analysis_on_repeat_funded_attendees
>
> --