It is probably best for me not to get into a long count/counterpoint here
but I couldn't avoid not responding at all.

As Ori hinted at I hope that everyone can reflect on the idea of causation
vs correlation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation>. The
fact that good things have happened is not necessarily because of, but
despite of, current leadership. There is no doubt that there have been a
lot of good things to occur in the past while but those are, very
frequently, because people have been freed up some to do what they want. A
lack of direction or clear strategy can, in fact, have good side effects if
you have amazing people on board because they're able to make decisions
they've wanted to make for a while. However at the same time it can drive
them insane as they strive to keep it on that track and to avoid the taking
crazy routes or stop leadership from making decisions they feel would
disrupt the projects and the movement too much or go against our morals.

We have a lot of great new hires but much of that was driven by the good
people who already existed since it's the older ones who got into more
management type roles either officially or unofficially). Even at the
executive level it's telling that the 3 most long standing and solid
C-levels we have are all pre-lila appointees: Katherine (just before Lila
but still before), Lisa and Geoff. Our cycle of c-level replacements since
then have been both hires and departures (with, unfortunately, less hires
then departures still) including multiple short term hires (in roles that
are traditionally very long term).

I am not going to pretend I agreed with Sue at all times, or that every
decision she made was right however I at least felt like I knew what they
were (In fact I strongly disliked her strategy believing it bad for the org
and the movement, but again, I felt I knew what it was/understood it).
However I am also not going to accept the idea that Lila has made this
place so much better. As someone who saw them happen internally I don't
think her finger prints are really on any of the things you mention, they
were all 'despite' not 'because' of her and so much more could have been
done and wanted to be done. Slight exception possibly for the FDC bit but
that happened after all of this started exploding internally in the past
couple months and so she knew that she had  no trust left internally and
all of the staff close to it basically said "we can not defend you on this
if you don't go the FDC" so I still don't really see it as a proactive
choice on her front.

James
[[User:Jamesofur]]/[[User:Jalexander-WMF]]

Personal capacity, as signaled by my email address, but since some complain
I don't make it clear my role in WMF when I send this type of email: I am
also the Manager of Trust & Safety