You are overly simplifying things, One can be both, some things just don't
merit an article, an obscure band working out of a member's garage who have
never had an audience of more than 500 shouldn't have an article because
they really are not notable. On the other hand major artist should have
article. Weighting the balance on that line between what should and
shouldn't be kept is up to the community and which is why they have two
sections of the site dedicated to it (articles for discussion, and deletion
review),

If we do not have checks and balances in place wikipedia will quickly get
overrun with articles on everyone and everything to ever exist regardless
of the actual notability of the person/place/thing/event.