I am quite amused; it doesn't happen to me much that people take so much
care to protect my privacy. I do appreciate it, though.

In case nobody guessed it, I am (probably) "Mr. Western Wikipedian". The
language gap in Wikipedias has always concerned me since the very first day
I tried editing Wikipedia in 2004—as a volunteer, and later as a WMF staff
member. I exchanged a few words about this with Mr. Rancic at Wikimania
because I know he cares about it. (In case you're wondering, I don't know
who are the other people that Mr. Rancic is mentioning.)

The problem is fairly easy to

It is a problem that some of the most spoken languages of the world have
very little information online. In Wikipedia and on other websites. I'm
talking about Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Indonesian, Tagalog, and a few
others. India is just the biggest of the countries in question, but
certainly not the only one. There's even less information online in smaller
languages, which is just as bad, even though they are smaller. It's a deep
social problem that bothers me more and more as the years go by, and as I
learn about these languages, about the countries in which they are spoken
and about the people who speak them—especially those of them who don't
speak any other language.

The WMF could solve _some of it_. I am not entirely sure how. It's a
vicious circle of sociolinguistics making dominant languages even more
dominant, and less demanded languages even less demanded. It has a lot to
do with culture and politics, a bit of which I understand, and a lot of
which I don't.

As a developer of the Content Translation tool and other related things, I
very naïvely hope that I (not alone, of course!) am helping to resolving a
tiny bit of it. But I cannot resolve all of it, and WMF alone cannot
resolve all of it. Even though Wikimedia's famous "every single human
being" motto definitely puts this problem in Wikimedia's declared scope,
it's way too big and complex to be resolved with the resources the WMF
currently has. It's better to acknowledge that we cannot solve all of it
quickly, even though we'd love to, then to pretend that we'll save the
world the next week. (Bringing other people to Wikimania will also not save
it, certainly not by itself. That said, variety is a good thing.)

On an optimistic note, I have to reiterate that the recently started
research project that Anne Gomez mentioned is probably the best step that
the WMF ever made in this direction. I've been waiting for something like
this to happen since 2012 or so. It's an important acknowledgement that
there are a lot of things that we don't know, and that we want to try to
learn them. It's only a small first step, but a truly good one, and I'm
eager to see how it develops.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬