Hi Milos and everyone.

I just want to quickly add that in addition to the New Readers research
project, the Global Reach team
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Reach> is also working to expand
Wikimedia’s readership and awareness in India. We have contracted VotoMobile
<https://www.votomobile.org/>, an international phone survey company to
reach out to people across India on their mobile phones. We have chosen to
conduct phone surveys to eliminate the internet access dependency; this way
we can reach people who are not online or that are online but not using
Wikipedia, Wikisource or any of our projects.

As we speak, we are surveying 6000 people across almost all regions of
India (see list below).   This survey is being offered in 11 local
languages (Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati,
Odia, Bengali, Telugu, Kannada) plus English in order to include as many
different people and perspectives as possible.

The purpose of this survey is to to learn more about how people in India
use mobile phones and the internet to access knowledge and information.
During the survey, we ask questions about smartphone and network
availability, whether they have ever heard of us, what barriers they
experience, and how they use Wikipedia and the internet. The survey results
for India will be available on our Meta page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Reach/Insights> this July-August.

Last but not least, our Global Reach team has a member - Smriti Gupta - who
is based in India. Smriti works to build partnerships across Asia.
Currently, she is exploring different types of partnerships, including a
pilot with the local government in India that would help our editing
community increase the Gujarati content for Wikimedia projects.

Please feel free to reach out our team if you would like to learn more
about our work in India and elsewhere.

Best regards,

Adele

List of regions targeted by the India phone survey:

Maharashtra

Gujarat

Punjab

Haryana

Himachal Pradesh

West Bengal

Assam

Madhya Pradesh

Odisha

Chhattisgarh

Andhra Pradesh

Andhra Prades

Tamil Nadu

Kerala

Karnataka

Telangana

Uttar Pradesh

Bihar

Rajasthan

Jharkhand

Uttarakhand

Jammu and Kashmir

Delhi

NE states (Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur and
Tripura)

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Àlex Hinojo <alexhin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I completely agree with Amir.
>
> Wikipedia is an unachievable goal itself. And this is precisely what it
> takes us to do It. we have shown the world that only starting things, they
> move forward. Let's improve coverage, one edit at a time.
>
> As a tip: keep in mind other people's interests while editing articles (
> geographical, cultural, linguistical or event political) trying to discover
> and understand the others while editing is one of the greatest prices
> Wikipedia can give to us everyday. This could also bring some -needed-
> empathy to the movement itself.
>
> Best
>
> Àlex Hinojo
> Amical Wikimedia
>
> El 28 juny 2016, a les 21:37, Amir E. Aharoni <
> amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> va escriure:
> > I am quite amused; it doesn't happen to me much that people take so much
> > care to protect my privacy. I do appreciate it, though.
> >
> > In case nobody guessed it, I am (probably) "Mr. Western Wikipedian". The
> > language gap in Wikipedias has always concerned me since the very first
> day
> > I tried editing Wikipedia in 2004—as a volunteer, and later as a WMF
> staff
> > member. I exchanged a few words about this with Mr. Rancic at Wikimania
> > because I know he cares about it. (In case you're wondering, I don't know
> > who are the other people that Mr. Rancic is mentioning.)
> >
> > The problem is fairly easy to
> >
> > It is a problem that some of the most spoken languages of the world have
> > very little information online. In Wikipedia and on other websites. I'm
> > talking about Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Indonesian, Tagalog, and a few
> > others. India is just the biggest of the countries in question, but
> > certainly not the only one. There's even less information online in
> smaller
> > languages, which is just as bad, even though they are smaller. It's a
> deep
> > social problem that bothers me more and more as the years go by, and as I
> > learn about these languages, about the countries in which they are spoken
> > and about the people who speak them—especially those of them who don't
> > speak any other language.
> >
> > The WMF could solve _some of it_. I am not entirely sure how. It's a
> > vicious circle of sociolinguistics making dominant languages even more
> > dominant, and less demanded languages even less demanded. It has a lot to
> > do with culture and politics, a bit of which I understand, and a lot of
> > which I don't.
> >
> > As a developer of the Content Translation tool and other related things,
> > very naïvely hope that I (not alone, of course!) am helping to resolving
> > tiny bit of it. But I cannot resolve all of it, and WMF alone cannot
> > resolve all of it. Even though Wikimedia's famous "every single human
> > being" motto definitely puts this problem in Wikimedia's declared scope,
> [...]

*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
avr...@wikimedia.org

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*