I would guess that I receive about 20-100 emails a day (there is a wide
range) related to Wikimedia, and I simply pick out the ones that interest
me. It's very simple to delete or archive emails that I don't want to read,
and I'm willing to accept the noise in exchange for the signal. Wikimedia-l
and Wikitech-l are high volume lists by nature, and that's part of the deal
people make when they subscribe.

In the long run I would like to move to something like Discourse, but as
far as I know WMF has yet to allocate the resources to make that possible.

Pine