Marketing can  get someone to buy a product once; the problem is to get
them to buy another, and that depends on the quality of the product. It is
much easier to get new first time editors than to give them the
encouragement and satisfaction to keep them going.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 5:38 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> At the research mailing list two relevant activities were mentioned that do
> not adequately take place.
>
> * *Gamified interfaces for microcontributions à la Wikidata game*
> ** **Ubiquitous outreach, supported by dedicated technology*
>
> The notion exists that it is possible to do all kind of technological
> things to make things stand out more but the big problem is imho not
> technological. It is not content, it is the awareness that marketing is
> more than selling things.
>
> A respected Wikimedian made the bold statement that "Wikipedia could
> absolutely have 100x the number of editors it has now".I would argue that
> this is correct
>
> My question is not could marketing methods make a difference but what
> objectives do we have that will benefit from a marketing approach. What
> does it take to be more pro-active towards our objectives?
> Thanks,
>        GerardM

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP